Be More Than Conquerors
Be More Than Conquerors
William Stout / General
How to Be More Than Conquerors
- We have been talking living the victorious Christian Life
- Being careful (anxious) for nothing – not worrying
- thinking on good things
- Keeping a positive outlook – being a positive person
- Our mindset – outlook, or worldview – is imperative to our well being
- How you think will affect how you live – and others
- it is scientific – it matters whether or not you have faith
- How you think will also affect your faith
- Today, I want to continue with that theme by talking about how to be “more than a conqueror”
Romans 8:35–37 KJV 1900
35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?
36 As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.
37 Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.
The Dictionary defines the word Conquer as:
Concise Oxford English Dictionary Conquer
1 overcome and take control of by military force.
2 successfully overcome (a problem).
- So to overcome, especially by force, is to conquer, or be a conqueror
- The Bible says that “in all these things” we are more than conqueror – through Him who loved us
- Through Jesus Christ = not on our own
In all these Things
- What things?
- As we continue to talk about this victorious life as a Christian, it is good to remember that these things were not written in a vacuum
- When he wrote about thinking of good things, he knew about “these things”
- When he wrote about having the same mind which was in Christ Jesus, he knew about “all these things
- When we talk about seeing the Lord always, we mean ‘in all these things”
What are “These things”
- In all these things we are “more than Conqueror”
- What is it to be “more” than a conqueror
- A conqueror overcomes – we do more than that
- If a conqueror overcomes through force, then
- If you are to be more than a conqueror, you must have more than force, more than your own strength
- And as Christians, we do
- How to be “more than a conqueror”
Conquer with More Prayer
- So many people live as victims instead of victors because they neglect to pray.
- Some people even pray about the big things that happen but forget that it is “the little foxes, that spoil the vines”
- If we are going to be more than conquerors, we must pray about everything, both the small and great, continuing always in prayer.
- The Scripture instructs us to “Pray without ceasing”
1 Thessalonians 5:17 KJV 1900
17 Pray without ceasing.
- “But in everything by prayer … let your requests be made known unto God” (Phil. 4:6).
- This prayer, for the truly victorious Christian Life, must be more than just our wish list, or list of demands
- Not only should we pray for our needs, great and small, but also about our decisions, relationships, plans, etc.
Conquer with More Promises
“For all the promises of God in him are yea, and in him Amen, unto the glory of God by us” (2 Cor. 1:20).
- Some Christians fall short when it comes to reading, remembering, and relying on God’s promises.
- Thy Word have I hid in my heart…
- They unsuccessfully depend on their own strength.
- The Sword of the Spirit is the Word of God
- If we are going to be more than conquerors, we must trust God and depend on his promises.
- These promises need to be in you –
- Can’t go looking for your sword in the heat of the battle (These Things)
- The Scripture says, “There hath not failed one word of all his good promise”
1 Kings 8:56 NKJV
56 “Blessed be the Lord, who has given rest to His people Israel, according to all that He promised. There has not failed one word of all His good promise, which He promised through His servant Moses.
Galatians 3:29 NLT
29 And now that you belong to Christ, you are the true children of Abraham. You are his heirs, and God’s promise to Abraham belongs to you.
- I will bless everyone who blesses you and curse everyone who curses you
- No need to worry about enemies:
- they will stumble and fall
- He will be an adversary to your adversary
- He will trouble those who trouble you
- He is the Lord who heals you
- The Lord gives you the power to get wealth
- The Lord will never leave you nor forsake you
- The Lord will prepare a place for you
- The Lord will come again to receive you to Himself
- And so many more promises that He has given you
Jeremiah 33:20–21 KJV 1900
20 Thus saith the Lord; If ye can break my covenant of the day, and my covenant of the night, and that there should not be day and night in their season;
21 Then may also my covenant be broken with David my servant, that he should not have a son to reign upon his throne; and with the Levites the priests, my ministers.
- His Promises are rock solid
- But you need to know them to live by them – Get in the Word
Conquer with More Peace
- Often Christians fail to be victorious because they lack God’s peace.
- They live with fear and doubts rather than with faith and confidence.
- If we are to be more than conquerors, we must take on God’s peace. Jesus said, “My peace I give unto you…
John 14:27 KJV 1900
27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.
- As we mentioned last week – “And the peace of God … shall keep your hearts and minds” (Phil. 4:7).
- We must simply accept the peace he offers.
Isaiah 26:3 KJV 1900
3 Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, Whose mind is stayed on thee: Because he trusteth in thee.
Trust in The LORD
Conquer with More Praise
- Many Christians are faithless when it comes to praising the Lord.
- They wear sad faces, have negative attitudes, and completely lack victory.
- If you want to be more than conquerors, you must praise the Lord more, in everything
Psalm 146:2 KJV 1900
2 While I live will I praise the Lord: I will sing praises unto my God while I have any being.
- Do you Praise the Lord while you live? Even in the hard spots
- No, we are not thankful for tribulations, but we can certainly be thankful in tribulations
- And it is truly saddening that so many Christians are not
- David said:
Psalm 34:1 KJV 1900
1 I will bless the Lord at all times: His praise shall continually be in my mouth.
- How does it glorify the Lord to bless you if you were complaining and blaming Him for your problems the whole time you were in trouble?
- So many people immediately turn away from God as soon as things are not going their way, and then say they will praise him if they get the victory
- Friends, that is not Christianity, that is humanism, or as I like to call it, “Selfianity”
- And yet, so many pseudo Christians are in that very position
- If you only praise God after you have the victory, then it subverts God under you when you win – how does that honor God
- But if You praise Him through your pain, now that will testify of his greatness
- I am facing some trials today – but let me praise God for what he has already done!!
- If He never does another thing, there aren’t enough days left to praise Him for what He has already done
- Jesus is Wonderful!
We are More than Conquerors through HIM!