Be a Positive Person
Be a Positive Person
William Stout / General
Positive or Negative?
Does it Matter?
- Most people would rather be around positive people – even if they are pessimists
- Positive people lift others up
- Positive people are more fun to be around
- Most people do not enjoy being around a pessimist –
- Positive people generally cause more positiveness
- Although most people would agree with this, many people do not realize that it really has everything to do with choice and very little to do with circumstance
- So choose to Be a Positive Person
- Here are some practical steps
Starts in your mind
- as with so many things in life, the battle begins in our mind
- Thoughts lead to actions
- actions lead to habits
- habits lead to character
- character leads to destiny
- Positive or negative
Philippians 2:5 KJV 1900
Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:
1. Think Positive Thoughts
- we spoke touched on this last week
- If you want to be a positive person you really must have positive thoughts
- of course many will say “I can’t help it, you don’t know what I am going through”
- That is true, but we have some examples set before us: Jesus; Stephen; Paul; etc.
- We still can choose to think on these things:
Philippians 4:8 NKJV
Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things.
- Some Christians fail to discipline their thinking. They allow negatives to dominate their minds.
- The word discipline is not a curse word
- We can choose to stop our stinking thinking
- Christians must take deliberate action, replacing negative thoughts with positives and keeping an optimistic outlook.
- Have you ever been flipping through the channels and pause on a channel you didn’t like?
- if you are like me, when that happens, you just push the button and move on to a different channel
- There may be a hundred channels you don’t like, so find one that is good
- Think on these things
- Of course, I don’t mean that we never think about the negative situations and problems that life may present us to deal with
- what I do mean is that if you got a speeding ticket last week and it is already paid you shouldn’t be sulking about it today
- You may want to recall it the next time you think of driving fast, but only long enough to get your speed in check
- there is a difference between being responsible enough to make plans and face trials thoughtfully and prudently, and being a negative person
- Should not be thinking about past hurts for no reason, or future fears without a purpose, or such things
2. Hear Positive Sounds
- Many people listen to the filth, smut, and destruction coming across the airwaves. Their spirits are dwarfed.
- What you listen to is very much like your thoughts
- in fact, if you hear things often enough, it becomes your thoughts
- this is one of the reasons why music and poetry are so powerful –
- If you hear negative things, it inhabits your mind – I call it ear poison
- it is hard to be subjected to a lot of it and not be affected
- But if you “hear positive sounds, it can lead to positive decisions
- We have a few examples in the bible
- Isaiah heard
Isaiah 6:8 NKJV
Also I heard the voice of the Lord, saying:
“Whom shall I send,
And who will go for Us?”
Then I said, “Here am I! Send me.”
- Isaiah was in the habit of “hearing” the Lord
- trained himself to listen to good things
- then he made a decision
Ezekiel 3:12–13 NKJV
Then the Spirit lifted me up, and I heard behind me a great thunderous voice: “Blessed is the glory of the Lord from His place!”
I also heard the noise of the wings of the living creatures that touched one another, and the noise of the wheels beside them, and a great thunderous noise.
- Ezekiel heard some positive sounds
- And John recorded perhaps more than anyone about what he “heard”
Revelation 19:1 NKJV
After these things I heard a loud voice of a great multitude in heaven, saying, “Alleluia! Salvation and glory and honor and power belong to the Lord our God!
Revelation 5:11–13 NKJV
Then I looked, and I heard the voice of many angels around the throne, the living creatures, and the elders; and the number of them was ten thousand times ten thousand, and thousands of thousands,
saying with a loud voice: “Worthy is the Lamb who was slain To receive power and riches and wisdom, And strength and honor and glory and blessing!”
And every creature which is in heaven and on the earth and under the earth and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, I heard saying: “Blessing and honor and glory and power Be to Him who sits on the throne, And to the Lamb, forever and ever!”
- We must listen to the good, not the bad. We must hear from the Lord and heed his Word.
- We can choose to listen to positive things
- When we must hear negative things, we can choose to listen for the positive things
- for example, the news is filled with negative things, some very negative
- Sometimes when I am hearing the news, I also hear Luke 21:28
Luke 21:28 NKJV
Now when these things begin to happen, look up and lift up your heads, because your redemption draws near.”
3. See Positive Sights
- Some Christians look for the bad in people and circumstances, seeing only the faults and negatives.
- It is easy to do that if we are not careful
- In fact, if you have ever been disappointed, rejected, betrayed, abandoned or neglected, hurt, suffered failure or loss, etc.
- It is easy to see these things everywhere, around you, in others, etc.
- Instead of seeing failure and loss, we must see Jesus
Acts 2:25 NKJV
For David says concerning Him:
‘I foresaw the Lord always before my face,
For He is at my right hand, that I may not be shaken.
- David saw the Lord always –
- Stephen saw Jesus, standing at the right hand of God – even when he was about to be stoned
- do you see Jesus, of your circumstance
- You may think that it “just happened” that way for them – without anything on their part – but there is a choice
- the bible tells us to look in order to see these positive sights –
Hebrews 12:2 KJV 1900
Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.
- To be a positive person one must look for the good and look to Jesus.
- remember the context of the passage also
- the heroes of faith – many who did great things and received great miracles
- others who were tortured, stones, slain with the sword, destitute, afflicted tormented.
Hebrews 11:36–38 KJV 1900
36 And others had trial of cruel mockings and scourgings, yea, moreover of bonds and imprisonment: 37 They were stoned, they were sawn asunder, were tempted, were slain with the sword: they wandered about in sheepskins and goatskins; being destitute, afflicted, tormented; 38 (Of whom the world was not worthy:) they wandered in deserts, and in mountains, and in dens and caves of the earth.
- Even in dire circumstances – we have a choice to live by faith
- to think positive thoughts, hear positive sounds and to see positive sights
- You see by looking, so look to Jesus!
4. Speak Positive Words
- Many people talk mostly about evil and bad events. Some are harsh, unkind, and take God’s name in vain.
- If you really want to see “power” in your life, use positive words positively
- So many people open their mouths to spew negative, bad things and are ignorant of the power of these words
Psalm 105:2 NKJV
2 Sing to Him, sing psalms to Him;
Talk of all His wondrous works!
- We should talk positively, seeking to glorify God – proclaiming his goodness, grace, and love.
- James tells us that if we can control our tongues we can control the whole course of our life
Proverbs 18:20–21 KJV 1900
20 A man’s belly shall be satisfied with the fruit of his mouth;
And with the increase of his lips shall he be filled.
21 Death and life are in the power of the tongue:
And they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof.
5. Perform Positive Deeds
- The deeds of many are negative. They are selfishly motivated, dishonest, and displeasing to God.
- the opposite of that would be selfless, honest, and pleasing to God
- Doing positive things is really so very easy
- It has nothing to do with circumstance and everything to do with purpose- choice
Matthew 7:12 KJV 1900
12 Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.
- Our positive deeds are based on what we would like, not circumstance
- and we can be sure there will be a harvest
Galatians 6:7–8 KJV 1900
7 Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. 8 For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.
Hebrews 6:10 KJV 1900
10 For God is not unrighteous to forget your work and labour of love, which ye have shewed toward his name, in that ye have ministered to the saints, and do minister.
Colossians 3:23 KJV 1900
23 And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;
- We must be honest, ready to lift those who are down, ready to be a witness for Christ.
5. Attend Positive Places
- Christians hurt their influence when they go to the wrong places in search of entertainment and companions
- A companion of fools suffers harm (prov.13:20)
- There are so many negative places that we can find ourselves
- you would be surprised just how easy it is to remove yourself from negative places
1 Corinthians 15:33 NKJV
33 Do not be deceived: “Evil company corrupts good habits.”
- Instead, we should place ourselves in positive places and around positive people
- There are few ways better to do this than being in a good church regularly
- Attend church faithfully. Go with God and he will go with you.
Hebrews 10:25 KJV 1900
25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.
Psalm 122:1 KJV 1900
1 I was glad when they said unto me,
Let us go into the house of the Lord.
- Put these practical steps into practice in your life and you will be amazed at how easy it is to become a positive person, a positive Christian
- If you already are a positive person, these steps will help you increase and maintain your great attitude and benefits
- If you are someone who struggles with a negative attitude, depression, anger, or sadness, these steps will be truly transformative
- Think Positive thoughts
- Hear Positive Sounds
- See positive sights
- Do Positive deeds
- Go to positive places
And Be a Positive Christian, in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you shall shine as lights!!!